From The Geller Report, this list of crazy Islamic fatwas issued in the last few years by prominent Islamic religious leaders:
1. In a 2000 fatwa entitled "The Transmitted and Sensory Proofs of the Rotation of the Sun and Stillness of the Earth", Saudi Arabian Grand Mufti Sheikh Ibn Baaz (top picture) asserted that the earth was flat and disc-like, and that the sun revolved around it.
2. Women are prohibited from watching soccer and American football in the Arab world, because supposedly all they really care about is looking at men's thighs and not watching the game.
3. Men must wear clothes to cover their thighs. Men's shorts are rarely seen worn by men in the summer heat of the Muslim world.
4. A Malaysian fatwa banned girls from acting like tomboys as violating Islamic tenets. And a fatwa was issued on tennis player Sania Mirza for not wearing proper clothes during her games, thus corrupting Muslim youth.
5. A fatwa was issued forbidding Pakistani children from immunisations because the clerics claim that vaccines are a Western conspiracy to make Muslims sterile.
6. Egypt's Grand Mufti Ali Gomaa said that drinking the urine of Muhammad is deemed a great blessing and a healing from diseases. After a public outcry, the Mufti recanted, saying it was only his "personal opinion."
7. In 2007, Ezzat Attiya issued a fatwa saying that an adult female can breastfeed an adult male coworker in order to defuse sexual tensions in the office. This ruling is based on the Islamic belief that if a woman breastfeeds a baby that is not hers, she automatically becomes a foster mother to the child.
8. The former dean of Al-Azhar University, Rashad Hassan Khalil, issued a fatwa saying that a marriage would be considered void if the couple had sex in a naked state.
9. When a woman was raped by her father-in-law, instead of punishing him, a fatwa said that her husband had now become her son, thus she is divorced from her husband.
10. In 1988, the publication of Salman Rushdie's novel The Satanic Verses led Iranian revolutionary leader Ayatollah Khomeini to issue a fatwa of death with a huge bounty against Rushdie. Islam does teach that Muhammad did delete some verses from the Qur'an that were deemed Satanic.
11. Turkey's top religious authority, the Diyanet, issued a fatwa answering the anonymous question, "Is it religiously all right to Lust for my daughter?" The Diyanet explained, "There is a difference of opinion on the matter among Islam's different schools of thought... . For some, a father kissing his daughter with lust or caressing her with desire has no effect on the man's marriage." But in the Hanafi school of Islamic thought, the mother would be "forbidden" to such a man. And the girl would have to be "over nine years of age".